 Robotics / 22770
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:31:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Wayne Gramlich wrote:

(Let me apologize in advance, this is going
to sound a bit like an advertisement.)

My solution to the RCX problem was to
design my own extensible sensor and
effector suite that I call RoboBricks.

(I note that it seems to be spelled RoboBrix by robotstore.com.)

The guy who sells them wanted a name that was
less likely to be kicked out by the trademark
examiner -- hence, RoboBRiX.

P.S. My boards are Lego-friendly in that they
have holes across the top and bottom that
snap right onto Lego studs.

That's cool.  I have several suggestions for you, as a potential user:

1. Get the robotstore folks to mention the LEGO compatibility in their
descriptions; the one I looked at made no mention of it, and it's not obvious
that that's what those holes are for.

Good point; I'll mention it to Roger (he's the Robot Store guy.)

2. Write a tutorial geared for LEGO users, showing how the RoboBrix modules can
be used to control LEGO motors for example.

Documentation is a big problem.  We need more
documentation everywhere.  We need better
module documentation, a bunch of example
robots, etc.

3. Find some way to provide the RoboBrix boards in preassembled form.  To
require soldering makes it a big leap in difficult from Mindstorms.

I agree.  We have to take one step at a time tho'.

-Wayne