 Robotics / 22279
Re: Some brainstorming needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:03:11 GMT

Juergen Stuber wrote:
> lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:
>
>>I've been thinking about trying to build a '3D printer'.
>
> how about building a robot that uses a pile of 1x1 plates as raw material?
> These are even easy to come by in the form of mosaics.

Using 1x1's wouldn't permit you to build overhangs or under-cuts.

But also, using things that big as the smallest building blocks would
result in very coarse-looking objects.  You also need a heck of a lot
of them to build a solid 3D object of any size.   To build just a 10x10x10
stud cube, you need 100 of them for each layer and about 22 layers - so you'd
need 2200 1x1 plates.  But then look at building a Lego sculpture or something.
You don't have the resolution to make a believable looking sculpture in
just 10x10x10 studs!

No - these machines have to be able to build *anything* that you could
describe with geometry in a computer.  I have seen one of these machines
building a ship in a bottle by building up both the ship and the bottle
layer by layer.

Here are some links to the machines I'm thinking about:

http://www.cadinfo.net/editorial/z402.htm
http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/3DPRINTER/
http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/news.asp?articleid=2578

I understand that I'm not going to have that much resolution using Lego - but
even producing something fairly lumpy would be impressive.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net