 Robotics / 22286
Re: Some brainstorming needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:28:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
Juergen Stuber wrote:
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:

I've been thinking about trying to build a '3D printer'.

how about building a robot that uses a pile of 1x1 plates as raw material?
These are even easy to come by in the form of mosaics.

Using 1x1's wouldn't permit you to build overhangs or under-cuts.

I've had a 3D graphing calculator on my mind for a long time.  Another of my
hobbies is 3D fractals.  In the case of the 3D fractals I would make, there
would be no overhangs.

Imagine though that you did not restrict yourself to 1x1 plates.  What if you
had support to handle all sized plates, and all sized bricks.  This would allow
you to place a single brick instead of three layers of plates, seriously
reducing the total number of parts needed to create the object.  The maximum
overhang is limited by the longest plate or brick you can get, but you could
have overhangs.

It would take quite a machine to handle all those brick/plate types, but your
part density would go down and your overhang flexibility would go up.

You'd still be limited to the resolution of 1x1x1/3 because of the smallest
plate.

Kevin

But also, using things that big as the smallest building blocks would
result in very coarse-looking objects.  You also need a heck of a lot
of them to build a solid 3D object of any size.   To build just a 10x10x10
stud cube, you need 100 of them for each layer and about 22 layers - so you'd
need 2200 1x1 plates.  But then look at building a Lego sculpture or something.
You don't have the resolution to make a believable looking sculpture in
just 10x10x10 studs!

No - these machines have to be able to build *anything* that you could
describe with geometry in a computer.  I have seen one of these machines
building a ship in a bottle by building up both the ship and the bottle
layer by layer.

Here are some links to the machines I'm thinking about:

http://www.cadinfo.net/editorial/z402.htm
http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/3DPRINTER/
http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/news.asp?articleid=2578

I understand that I'm not going to have that much resolution using Lego - but
even producing something fairly lumpy would be impressive.