 Robotics / 22275
22274  |  22276
Subject:
Some brainstorming needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:55:46 GMT

I've been thinking about trying to build a '3D printer'.  These things
exist in a number of commercial products - but they cost an absolute fortune
and I've been thinking about making one using Lego robotics components.

The idea is to take a 3D CAD model inside your PC and to have some kind
of robotic contraption build it for you in the real world.

Some examples of these machines work like this:

1) One contraption had two large bins - perhaps a foot on a side by
    a foot deep - each with an elevator mechanism that could raise or lower
    the floor of the bin by a fraction of a millimeter.  The machine has
    one bin with it's floor fully lowered - full of something like dry
    plaster powder.  The other is fully raised (and therefore empty).
    When the full bin is raised a tiny bit and the empty one lowered
    by a similar amount, an arm sweeps over the tops of the two bins
    and scrapes a small amount of the powder from the full bin into
    a thin layer on the top of the empty one.  Something like an inkjet
    printer head sprays some coloured water onto the newly formed thin
    layer to draw out a cross-section of the model.  This is then
    lowered a little - and the whole process repeated one layer at at
    time until the originally empty bin is now full and the full one is
    empty.   After the plaster dries, you can lift out the object from
    the full bin and brush off the loose, dry powder from around it.

2) Another one I saw used a very large roll of adhesive-backed paper.
    it would build the model up by unrolling and sticking down a layer
    of paper - then cutting out a cross-section with a laser and cross-hatching
    the unused areas outside of the model it's making.  Layers would build
    up one at a time until the entire model can be broken out of the
    cross-hatched scrap paper.  The resulting model looks like it's been
    carved out of solid wood.

4) Yet another had a platform that could be raised and lowered inside a large
    tank of some kind of liquid polymer.  The platform would be raised to just
    a fraction of a millimeter below the surface of the liquid - then a laser
    would be used to harden this photo-sensitive liquid in the areas inside the
    cross-section of the model.  Then the platform would be lowered a fraction
    and the process repeated to build up the model layer by layer.

Anyhow - I've been wondering whether it would be possible to build some kind
of contraption that would do this using Lego (and - presumably - a significant
amount of non-Lego parts)...but all of those approaches seem to need powerful
lasers or weird chemicals or some-such.

So - does anyone have any idea what might be possible for an enthusiastic
amateur?

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net