 Robotics / 22299
Re: Some brainstorming needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:06:49 GMT

what about putting the demel tool at the end of a lego motor ? To cut thin Balsa, it should be strong enough.

To assemble the layers, I would simply have two central axles on which all layers would be stacked.  Those should of course be put at a
place you will not need to cut !

Steve Baker wrote:

SIVA Frédéric wrote:
Don't know how to post on lugnet, so here is a bare mail ...

You can email directly to: lego-robotics@crynwr.com

Why not having a pile of 1mm plastic sheets, and a kind of 2D plotter that would have a dremmel at the end i.o. a pencil.
This plotter would take one layer, and cut out what's required, then place it on top of the previous.

Yes - I had thought about something like that.  I was thinking in terms of sheets of thin balsa wood - which could
probably be cut with the kind of power I could get from a Lego motor.  Building a machine to move something as
heavy as a Dremmel (accurately!) seems like a hard problem for a Lego solution.

Also, I was remembering the machine that uses layers of paper - cutting it with a laser.  It seems like I could
perhaps do that using a sharp scalpel blade in a swivel mount.  There are machines that cut vinyl sheets that
way to make lettering for vehicle and store signs.  Many print shops have them.

To start with, you could even manuall feed the plastic sheets in the plotter, and take them away when finished.  Ultimately, you can
build a lego feeder.

The problem I have is how those layers get stuck together.   The machine that uses paper layers had a roll
of self-adhesive paper with a backing sheet.  As it unrolled the paper, it peeled off the backing sheet
leaving a sticky underside that it rolled onto the stack of sheets that it had already cut.

One problem is that to build up an object of reasonable size (say 6 inches on a side?), you need hundreds
of layers - and that sticky-backed paper is EXPENSIVE!   I thought about using layers of scotch tape - or
maybe duct-tape.

I think even I could do that (one of my first creation was a scanner/plotter, which is not that far
from what I suggest here ...)

Right - I've seen several plotters made using Lego - and that's what gives me hope that I could at least
draw the design on each layer with reasonable precision.

The hard part is figuring out what kind of material to make the layers out of, how to stick them together and
how to cut them.

Another thought I had this morning was to use a hot glue gun with a finer nozzle to deposit little blobs
of plastic and build up the object one tiny blob at a time that way.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net

--
Frédéric SIVA

ITOPS/Business Solutions/Treasury Applications

Tel: + 32 2 655 4094

S.W.I.F.T. s.c.r.l.
This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information that is confidential
and/or proprietary and is intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above.
It is not intended to create or affect any contractual arrangements between the parties.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately.
Thank you for your co-operation.