 Robotics / 22278
RE: Some brainstorming needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:32:16 GMT

Sorry for the double copy Steve, I thought I sent this to the list.

I don't have much input (except to say that number 2 is probably easiest - a
few mW laser with some optics to focus the beam into a very small point
would probably be enough to cut the paper.

This is probably not easily done with much Lego at all - the platform drive
systems could be inkjet/dot matrix printer rails.  Lego may be applicable
for the mirror that would direct the laser beam, but again I think a stepper
motor would be a better fit (much more precise control for one).  Also, ~15k
RAM doesn't give a whole lot of room for a control program and a queue of
commands, forcing the system (which might be mechanically possible of 1
layer/sec) to be as slow as the comm link between RCX and PC, as well as how
fast the RCX could rasterize that data into motor and laser commands.

I think this would be a very cool project though.

Andy