 Robotics / 18891
Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 23:04:56 GMT

"Da Byte" <dabyte@hotmail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Mark Riley writes:
The transistor is easy to find (Radio Shack in the U.S. carries it).

I live in The Netherlands, so instead of Radio Shack I buy at Conrad. Is
there a universal transistor description in this case?

BC557

This appears to be a PNP transistor according to this datasheet:

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/bc557

The transistor in the circuit diagram I provided is NPN.  Also, the
maximum current the BC557 can handle is only 100ma (I think
you needed 250ma or so).  In other words, this won't be a
good substitute for the MPS2222A.

BTW, I went to the Conrad (International) website and I couldn't
find any semiconductors listed, so you might need to find another
supplier.

Although it isn't quite clear to me how to obtain this saturation. What do
I do with the circuit?

The resistor in the circuit determines the amount of current
going to the transistor's base.  The 330 ohm resistor
provides more than ample current to achieve "saturation",
so you don't need to do anything besides build the
circuit and connect it to the RCX.

Mark