 Robotics / 18816
Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:54:46 GMT

Here's a circuit you might try (please forgive the crudeness,
it's hand drawn):

http://home.surewest.net/markril/Lego/switch.gif

The transistor is easy to find (Radio Shack in the U.S. carries it).
The resistor is such a low value because the current being
switched is relatively high and it's important to keep the transistor
in saturation to avoid it overheating.  Also, the RCX can output as
little as 6V when batteries are low so this ensures sufficient
base drive. The diode is there to protect the transistor when
the motor output on the RCX is switched to the wrong polarity.
A 1N914 will work fine (also available at Radio Shack).

I tried this circuit with a load of 120ma (didn't have the
resistors to do 280ma) and it works fine.  The load got hot,
the transistor did not.  ;-)

This all assumes a non-inductive load.  If the load is inductive,
then you'll need to add some additional protection diode(s).

Also, don't try to hook up more than one switched device
to the RCX in this fashion.  Otherwise, bad things can happen!
At that point, going the optoisolator route would be best.

Mark

"Da Byte" <dabyte@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi all!
The quest continues: I have now (with the help of the posters at
circuitsonline.net) designed a circuit that should do the trick (clicking
the link below should reveal a schematic representation of the circuitry).

"http://home.tiscali.nl/~hito/schakeling.gif">

Although I wonder if I'll need an additional diode in the RCX, resistance,
transistor-circuit. Can anyone help me with designing a universal switch • for
th RCX?

Thanks in advance.
R. Roodselaar