 Robotics / 18794
Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Remko Roodselaar writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Dean Husby writes:

"Da Byte" <dabyte@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H1I03v.n9@lugnet.com...

Do you mean something like the following?
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_ms2.html

Dean

I have seen that site before, yes, but it doesn't exactly describe what I
want (although I also could implement relays).

I'd like help on the circuit I have built, please. But thanks anyway.

I'm far from any expert but it appears that what you are trying to do is
make a solid-state switch.

There are two other ways to do this.
1. Use the RCX it's self as the switch. The RCX motor port in OFF mode would
be the switch closed and the motor port in FLOAT mode is the switch in open.

But I don't know if this is the best idea depending on what your planning to
run on it.

The safest method would be to use an optoisolator (I think it's called) It's
a package with a LED and a Phototransistor in one little package. You'd use
the RCX to 'light' it and it would do the same as your schematic but would
be electronically isolated. This also allows using two of them with reversed
polarity and you can have two switches on one port.

Your other option is a relay as that link I supplied showed.

Hope that's a little bit of help.

Dean

Thanks a lot, Dean!

Total electrical isolation is a good idea to achieve what I'm planning to
do. I am trying to switch circuits of various Voltages (a 12V circuit at the
moment in the form of an IR beamer).
Do you have any information on both creating and buying (parts of) these
optoisolators? Could one use parts of old (computer) mice?

Thanks again!

Remko

In my "LEGO Mindstorms Interfacing" book published by McGraw-Hill I devote
whole chapter (Chapter 4) on Electronic Switching techniques. I describe
both input/output switching techiques using npn and Power MOSFET transistors
to control RCX and Scout based robots. The book will be on the bookshelves
next month. Here is a link from Amazon.com about the book. Enjoy!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071402055/qid%3D1030573125/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-8245441-6243259

Don Wilcher