 Robotics / 18825
Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 00:23:29 GMT

In an e-mail Eric send me the following info, for which many thanks.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Da Byte [mailto:dabyte@hotmail.com]
Verzonden: vrijdag 30 augustus 2002 16:23
Aan: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Onderwerp: Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Thanks for the help, Mark!
I have a few questions still (I'm a novice at electronics).

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Riley writes:
The transistor is easy to find (Radio Shack in the U.S. carries it).

I live in The Netherlands, so instead of Radio Shack I buy at Conrad. Is
there a universal transistor description in this case?

BC557

it's important to keep the transistor in saturation to avoid it overheating.

What does "in saturation" mean exactly?

verzadiging; hierdoor staat hij volledig open en heeft een mimimale
spanningsval. Hierdoor wordt er weinig hitte verstookt

[saturation means that it is completely open, and has a minimal powerdrop
(loss of power). Causing it to produce less heat]

Although it isn't quite clear to me how to obtain this saturation. What do I
do with the circuit?

Also, don't try to hook up more than one switched device to the RCX in this >>fashion.

The transitor will blow up (overheat), because of the large current (I)
through it?

Yep; of de RCX uitgang...

[Yes. Or the RCX output...]

To be safe try the circuit first by connecting it to a 9v
battery box (try both polarities).

I was planning on doing that. I have a 9.6V, 300mA powersupply, I suppose
that works just as well for testing purposes.

NEEE Deze dingen zijn vaak niet gestabiliseerd waardoor je vanalles behalve
9 v hebt!!

ALEEN indien er sprake is van een echte gestabiliseerde voeding kun je dat doen!

[NO! Those supplies aren't stabalized, so they'll provide you with any
voltage except pure 9 Volts!!

ONLY stabalized power can be used to that effect!]

Thanks again!

._ graag gedaan!
[._ you're welcome!]

Thanks again, Eric!