 Robotics / 18914
Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:23:38 GMT

Can't I secure my circuit against this 'switch', or even use it to achieve
the same with output in both directions: by using diodes for example?
I have tried to model something like that in software called "Crococlips"
(screenshot: http://dabyte.dynu.com:7070/html/crocclips.gif).

Can't I secure my circuit against this 'switch', or even use it to achieve
the same with output in both directions: by using diodes for example?

"A "full-wave bridge rectifier" (as used in AC-to-DC power supplies) will
do that nicely.  I believe some of the Lego "active" sensors do this.

I don't know if anyone makes an AC optocoupler,  but you can do your own
if they don't:  just take two LEDs,  and connect them in parallel,  but
with opposite polarity.  Add one current-limiting resistor,  and you now
have an "AC LED".  Point them both at the same phototransistor,  and you
have an "AC optocoupler".

Feel free to put this on lugnet,  if you want:  my "posting
authorization" cookie got lost/scrambled again,  and I don't want to try
to figure out how to fix that right now."

Thanks, Ran.

Grtz.,
Remko