 Robotics / 18823
Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:23:12 GMT

Thanks for the help, Mark!
I have a few questions still (I'm a novice at electronics).

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Riley writes:
The transistor is easy to find (Radio Shack in the U.S. carries it).

I live in The Netherlands, so instead of Radio Shack I buy at Conrad. Is
there a universal transistor description in this case?

it's important to keep the transistor in saturation to avoid it overheating.

What does "in saturation" mean exactly?

Also, don't try to hook up more than one switched device to the RCX in this fashion.

The transitor will blow up (overheat), because of the large current (I)
through it?

To be safe try the circuit first by connecting it to a 9v
battery box (try both polarities).

I was planning on doing that. I have a 9.6V, 300mA powersupply, I suppose
that works just as well for testing purposes.

Thanks again!

Grtz.,
Remko
P.S. more info on my project can be found in this thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=18204