 Robotics / 18859
Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:40:51 GMT

Andy Gombos wrote:
But the total *energy* stored per battery doesn't change - so if there are
more batteries then the time between battery changes will be larger.  To
at least a first approximation, you'll use the same number of batteries no
matter which voltage the thing runs on.

Huh?  Say I only use AA batteries (1.5V)  How will I use the same number of
batteries for a 4.5V, a 9V, and a 12V system?

I don't mean that you'll plug the same number into the battery box - I mean
that over a year of use, the TOTAL number of batteries that you'll consume
will be about the same.

But that's the point - with Spybotics (and Micro-scout and every other set
since Mindstorms), there is *NO* connectivity because everything is inside
the one box.  Hence backwards, forwards and sideways compatibility is not
an issue.

I sense some hardware hacking to bring inputs/outputs outside the box. :-)

Yes - but in this hypothetical nightmarish world, there would be no single
motors to buy, no official cables to connect things with, etc.

In short, there would be no point in hacking into "the box".  You might just
as well go completely non-standard/non-Lego and just build a suitable computer
with whatever motors you fancy.

You might use Lego for the *structure* of the robot - but all of the electronics
might as well be fully custom.

You could see how Lego might like that.

Yes.  They have been so supportive of Mindstorms (at least it seems) that to
not allow any future activity, even 3rd party, seems very odd.  Maybe they
are going to switch to another connector type instead.  A 2x2 plate takes up
a lot of room.

We live in hope (but not much hope!)

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org