 Robotics / 18858
Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:26:28 GMT

But the total *energy* stored per battery doesn't change - so if there are
more batteries then the time between battery changes will be larger.  To • at
least a first approximation, you'll use the same number of batteries no • matter
which voltage the thing runs on.

Huh?  Say I only use AA batteries (1.5V)  How will I use the same number of
batteries for a 4.5V, a 9V, and a 12V system?  You need more batteries to
get the higher voltage (or a step-up transformer to raise the voltage, but
that would be overkill), or use higher voltage batteries, such as 9V
batteries, to begin with.  These, however, store less energy per unit than
AAs.

Higher voltage just implies a longer period between battery swaps.

Obviously there are savings with lower voltages in that the robot can be
smaller and lighter - which extends battery life somewhat - but if the
battery life drops significantly, I'm not sure that's an advantage.

But that's the point - with Spybotics (and Micro-scout and every other set
since Mindstorms), there is *NO* connectivity because everything is inside
the one box.  Hence backwards, forwards and sideways compatibility is not
an issue.

I sense some hardware hacking to bring inputs/outputs outside the box. :-)

You could see how Lego might like that.

Yes.  They have been so supportive of Mindstorms (at least it seems) that to
not allow any future activity, even 3rd party, seems very odd.  Maybe they
are going to switch to another connector type instead.  A 2x2 plate takes up
a lot of room.

Small, lightweight sets could contain a 4.5 volt system - heavier, more
complex sets could be 6 or 9 volts internally...and if they have some
bizarre need for 12v, they can do that on a one-off basis.

This *sucks* - but it makes sense if you are a going down that path.

I agree with you - the beauty of Lego is the ability to build anything • you
want.  With 2 motors  180º apart, fixed into position 6 studs apart, the
creative applications are limited.

...especially if your 'bump sensor' is permenantly nailed to the front of
the machine and the only rotation sensor is permenantly connected to the • motor
or something.

Once you lose that flexibility, you are hardly able to innovate at all and
the Lego robotics community slowly dies.

Mechanical designs take over to move the force to the sensor.  A pain, yes,
but possible.  Again, I have a feeling if this all comes about guides will
be written to remove the sensors and put them on cables, and remove the
motors to be encased in bricks.  Just as with alternative firmware, it will
be a short period before this all is available and widely tested.

Perhaps then better power transfer
styles ala the flexible axles will be developed.

That's not gonna help much.  Fixed motors (and worse, fixed sensors) makes
the whole business of creative robot building much less interesting.

It would make existing sets much more interesting though.  We have to see
the benifit somewhere. ;-)

Andy