 Robotics / 18849
Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:20:53 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

> I think it would be foolish to try and ignore the writing on the wall. I
> hope they continue to find a way to support all the educational
> organizations from schools to colleges to universities who bought into the
> whole Mindstorms things as a teaching resource, otherwise those institutions
> are going to have a job replacing worn and damaged parts.

Well, Pitsco are still selling RCX's 1.0's with the external power supply
socket - so either they keep *HUGE* inventory - or they have some route to
Lego's old inventory for many years after the part has been discontinued.

> And yes, I totally agree with your final conclusion - its time to take
> seriously the whole issue of what has to be provided to take the place of
> what TLC started - and somewhat sooner than I had anticipated the need to.
>
> And now, it appears there's less reason to keep the interconnect system Lego
> compatible, since there obviously won't be anything to be compatible with.

The bad part about that will be producing things like motors.  It would
be hard to build a 3rd party motor without full injection molding capability
and a LOT of engineering resources.  In the relatively small runs you could
hope to sell them in, they'd come out pretty damned expensive.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net