 Robotics / 18846
Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 03:48:24 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I was very upset to discover that LD have withdrawn 5111 worldwide, when I
recently tried to place an order for more.

Yikes!

> Please note that this puts an end to 3rd party sensors :(

No - surely not.  I noticed that the 2002 Pitsco Dacta catalog (which
dropped into my lap just last week) still has:

   * U779898 : 1x10' (!) lead - $13.50

   * U779897 : 1x11", 1x21" 1x51" leads - $13.50

   * U779911 : Touch sensor + 1x11" + 1x6" leads - $11.95

   * U970041 : 3x leads (unspecified length) - $10.00

Not cheap - but still available.  Even at $3.34 per lead - that's
only $1.67 per sensor - so I doubt it'll destroy the 3rd party
sensor market for as long as Pitsco continue to sell them.

Beter buy a good stock of them while you still can!

Well, I guess this is an added incentive to think about a complete third
party replacement for the RCX!  (er - and the motors - and the Lego sensors,
lights, sound element, etc)

    :-(

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org