 Robotics / 18856
Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:00:37 GMT

I'll care what the voltage is, becuase I have to buy batteries for it/use a
wall wart.  Higher voltage == more batteries/more expensive batteries, and
also more space.  So, it seems to me (since the RCX/siblings are already
fairly large on a Lego scale), that the voltage can only get lower.  I have
not seen the spybotics sets, so I don't know how good they are.  However, by
lowering the voltage, you lose backwards compatibility with existing pieces,
assuming a connectiviy plan to hook them together.  With a higher voltage, a
2x4 stud brick could lower the voltage to 9V and fix that issue.

I agree with you - the beauty of Lego is the ability to build anything you
want.  With 2 motors  180º apart, fixed into position 6 studs apart, the
creative applications are limited.  Perhaps then better power transfer
styles ala the flexible axles will be developed.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Baker" <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
To: "Andy Gombos" <gombos_2000@earthlink.net>
Cc: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available

Andy Gombos wrote:

What will they replace it with? 12V?  Any other reasonable voltage is • too
hard to produce with batteries - 12V is 1 9V and 2 1.5V AAs, or 8 AAs. • That
is pathetic, and will increase the size of every electronic component • for
the sake of using 12V.  Based on what I have heard about 4.5V motors, • they
were not terribly powerful.  Unless increases in technology have been
dramatic, I don't see Lego going lower than 9V.

So, where are they going?

Well, if Spybotics is the true harbinger of doom, the future is to put
the computer, the motors, the batteries and all of the sensors into one
indivisible lump of plastic.

At this point wires are unnecessary and the end user no longer cares what
voltage everything runs at because it's all happening inside the one box.

If this happens, I'm off looking for another hobby because that's 180 • degrees
away from the direction I'd like them to take and it erases *all* of the • fun
I get from building Lego robots.

...but we already had *that* discussion.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net