 Robotics / 18828
Help: RCX 1.0 power adapter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:36:10 GMT

I just picked up a 1.0 set, and I looked through the documentation for info
on the type of adapter to use.  There appears to be nothing at all in any of
the manuals.  So I'm looking at the RCX itself.  It says "9-12V~".  Is the
"~" supposed to indicate AC?

Ross- you recommend using 10V AC.  Is the 10V any better than 9V for the
RCX?  It doesn't run the outputs at higher voltage, does it?  And are you
recommending 10 over 12 because the 12V is more likely to burn it out?

Anyone else have much experience doing this?  I'm particularly interested in
people who have run their units for extended periods of time (ie 8 hours
straight running all 3 outputs at max for most of the time while also
communicating with one or more RCXs or manas).  Is this safe?  What adapter
did you use?

Thanks!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Robert Fay writes:
RCX 1.0 is the only unit that has a 9 volt adapter port. You can use an ac
or dc 9volt supply on this. The power supply for the trains is suitable.

However many people had problems when using DC power regularly - probably
becuase it burned out one half of the rectifier. I'd advise using a 10V AC
adapter if you're gonna be using it regularly. (Of course you've gotta get a
RCX 1.0 first!!)

ROSCO