 Robotics / 16076
Re: Posi-trac differential?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:56:18 GMT

Got a prototype built. Easier than I thought. More friction in my prototype version than I wanted. I took some digital pics before I tore it apart.

Mine was 4 x 9.5 x 5 studs in size and used 4 8t gears, 8 16t, 2 worm and 1 idler. The four 8t gears were the "worm wheels" meshed with the worm gear, and the 16t gears meshed in pairs to mechanically connect the two sides of the diff. The idler was locked to the diff housing using a 1 x 5 liftarm w/ crown holes. I used bricks and technic plates to form the diff housing. Probably could get quite a bit smaller using liftarms and various connectors and a more compact way to lock the idler.

Mario Ferrari wrote:

. I just recently
finished building a Lego version of this type of diff, and will add some
pics to my site soon. The downside is that it is pretty bulky. I built it
around one of the large technic turntables, but it could be built between
two 40 tooth gears. Send me an email if you want more info.

Hi Rob,

can't wait to see the pictures of your Torsen diff! Let us know when you
release them to your site.

Mario