 Robotics / 18256
Re: Dead reckoning (was Re: Rover Programming)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:27:37 GMT

Simon Brooke wrote:

So I'm now looking at software solutions that reduce inertia - i.e.
gradually ramping up and down speed in turns. We'll see how this goes.

Yes - managing accelleration is a 'must'...both in speeding up and slowing
down - and easing into turns.  An abrupt change of speed will generally
result in wheel slip.

I'm currently using the 8.5 centimetre wheels on my dead reckoning bot.
Has anyone tried building a dead reckoning bot with tracks? How did it
perform?

It was good in a straight line - but *hopeless* in a turn because
the point that it rotated around wasn't well defined and depended on
the surface, the way the tracks were stored (Are your's squashed into
an elliptical shape?)...so overall, I don't think much of using tracks.

The two-large-wheels-plus-caster(s) seems to be the undesputed best design
for navigation (at least with Lego parts).

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net