 Robotics / 18234
RE: Rover Programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:45:33 GMT

Steve Baker Wrote:

An alternative that I rather like is to allow OBSTACLE squares to gradually
degrade into UNKNOWN status - and for UNKNOWN squares to gradually 'infect'
adjacent EMPTY squares and make them UNKNOWN too.  If you knew the rate at
which your robot lost positional precision, you could control the rate of
information destruction to match your worst estimates...no degradation
when stationary, some degradation when moving in a straight line, more
when turning - and a big chunk of degradation whenever you detect that
you hit something.

I'm going to add a proviso here - when you hit something that you shouldn't
have hit!

Anyways, this is a very interesting idea, Steve. The bitmap analysis
is fine. I don't think any of us with kids and a reasonably large LEGO
collection even have an 8x8 foot clear area :-)

This definitely is worth expoling some more. I built a maze walker
using pbForth that navigated a maze on paper. Maybe we could extend the
idea a bit....

Cheers, Ralph