 Robotics / 18121
Re: Rover Programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:32:45 GMT

My idea to solve the IR problem would be letting the rover move around for x
time and then return to IR contact before going out again. We would have to
think a little bit about new obstacles but I think that it can also be
solved.
Jonathan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Hensler" <fire_on@yahoo.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: Rover Programming

I Like your idea and mine was a lot like
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11951. I thought of using the rcx as a
scout and finding the path. It would relay the data back to the pc and the
pc would create and download a program that would drive the rcx to end of
it's map. I was thinking of using a timer or getting the time and counting
the number of sec. between when the rcx hits an object. then i could have
the computer turn the rcx after x second before hitting the object. the • only
problems with this method that i can see are that 1). you have to be with • ir
range, 2).it doesn't allow for movment around new objects and mapping of
them (well this may not be true) and 3). It's downloads hardcoded • programs.

What kind of info are you looking for about visual basics. I know there • used
to be docs about the vb control at mindstorms.com but, not sure if they • are
there anymore. I also have a control written by someone other than lego.
I'll have to dig it out and i'm not sure where i got it but, when i find • it
again i'll let you guys know. I am willing to help you get started with • the
control.

In lugnet.robotics, Ian Warfield writes:
This idea has been kicking around the newsgroup for quite some time. • Here's
a discussion from back in 2000:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11939

Here's an idea I had, very similar to what you're thinking:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11951

Here's the unfortunate conclusion to one person's attempt:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11958

Since the VB computer interface requires a good amount of work, I've • never
actually gotten around to programming it.  As far as I know, nobody has a
working version at their disposal.  Maybe you can provide us with one!

--Ian

In lugnet.robotics, "Jonathan Spitz" <jspiar@yahoo.com.ar> writes:
I have built a nice rover with two front sensors that just goes around
hitting objects and making so its not kicked. I would like to program it
better in VB or any other code that would let me show a map with every • place
where it has hit an object and then make him learn to avoid that • obstacules.
I would then try to program it in a way that I click anywhere in the map • and
the robot is able to go there using the shortest path with no • obstacules.
For that purpose I would need the IR controller for VB and both • documents on
programming, beginer and expert as I think it requires quite a bit of
programming.
Please tell where can I get this and send me your comments on past
experiences if you have tried something like this.
Best wishes,
Jonathan