 Robotics / 18058
Re: Request for designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:03:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, <rcbrown@austin.rr.com> writes:
FYI, the Ferrari brothers' book masterfully covers all of the topics you
list, and in a coherent sequence as well (IMHO). Dave Baum covers a subset
of them with more emphasis on programming in his book.

No NQC in FLL? Ack!

--Russ

Sorry about the syntax.  I was rushing to get that posting out while being
called to dinner.

I have Mario and Giulio's book and am in the process of getting permission
from Syngress (the publisher) to use examples from it.  They are such nice
folks that they offered to give me complementary copies of their LEGO theme
books to give away as prizes at the FLL compentitions!  I also have both of
Dave's books, the Knudsen book, Jin Sato's book, Joe Nagata's book and Ben
Erwin's book.  These are all great books and filled with wonderful examples.
I am getting something from each and hopefully getting releases to use it.
At the very least they will be included in a list of links and reference
materials.

But I don't want to re-release Mario's book.  If you are new to Mindstorms a
600 page book filled with sophisticated designs can be a little daunting.  I
also don't want to release a CliffsNotes version of it.  There is a limit to
how much material I can (maybe the greater limit is on will) borrow from any
of these sources.  So I have been frantically assembling little models to
demonstrate various points.  I am also becoming very expert at MLCad and LP3
which often makes better illustrations than digital photographs.  Jin's book
has a good introductory section on MLCad, LP3 and POV-RAY if anyone is
interested.

But coaches training is slated for mid August in Minnesota.  By then I need
to have all the materials ready (handouts, slides, animations, clips) have
the presentation planned out, and design fun and educational activities for
the break out sessions.  Oh, did I mention that during this time I will also
be helping on setting up a programming class?  I am feeling a little pressed
for time.  That is why I have turned to the wonderful LEGO community for help.

What I really need are some simple examples.  The kind of thing you build
when you are trying out a new concept.  A design that is centered around a
single idea or mechanism.  Without all the bells and whistles we eventually
add.  Without the breathtaking elegence we all hope to eventually achieve.
Just something that is raw, obvious, and easy to understand.

I am also interested in any photographs of FLL robots.  There are several
photographs on the Minnesota website, but most of these are of the teams,
not the robots.  I would also like to here from you if have been involved in
FLL in the past and have any comments about coaches training.  Examples of
particularly helpful training you recieved would be great.  Gripes and pleas
as to what is missing are helpful too.

Thanks once again,

Dean Hystad