 Robotics / 18064
Re: Request for designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 01:41:13 GMT

Dean Hystad wrote:

But coaches training is slated for mid August in Minnesota.  By then I need
to have all the materials ready (handouts, slides, animations, clips) have
the presentation planned out, and design fun and educational activities for
the break out sessions.  Oh, did I mention that during this time I will also
be helping on setting up a programming class?  I am feeling a little pressed
for time.  That is why I have turned to the wonderful LEGO community for help.

Perhaps you should commit to putting all the materials up on a web site
as a part of this process so that everyone would benefit in the end.

I'm sure that more people would contribute to a sort of OpenSourced free
online Lego Book that would grow over time to contain a large body of
knowledge.

I suspect people would be less willing to contribute something that would be
used on your course and never seen again.

What I really need are some simple examples.  The kind of thing you build
when you are trying out a new concept.  A design that is centered around a
single idea or mechanism.  Without all the bells and whistles we eventually
add.  Without the breathtaking elegence we all hope to eventually achieve.
Just something that is raw, obvious, and easy to understand.

I know what you mean - I tried to encapsulate all the interesting things
about Lego geometry in a single photo here:

   http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/lego/dimensions.html

I also have gear meshing tables:

   http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/lego/gearpairs.html

...diagonal brace tables: