 Robotics / 18067
Re: Request for designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 01:31:10 GMT

I have short word document on Lego geometry that I wrote last year for a
talk I did at a 4H Technology club.  You can find it here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GJansson/Geometry/

Very nice document.  The spreadsheet is quite similar to one I made for
calculating diagonal cross bracing and gear layouts.  Is it great or twisted
demented minds that think alike?

I also have a couple of Technic puck pickup mechanisms that you may find
useful.  These are based on designs that I made for a series of Puck
Gathering robots used at a local, Seattle area, robot competition.  These
are assembly instructions and can be a basis for a discussion comparing two
different designs, one that uses gears and one that uses levers.  You can
find links to both sets of instructions here:
http://www.lugnet.com/~726/PuckUp/

This is a really nice example of using two different techniques to solve the
same problem.  That is something I want to drill into these folks.  There is
a solution out there for almost any problem they encounter.  But they may
not have the right parts, or it doesn't fit into their existing design,
etc...  It is really important to be able to step back and view things from
a slightly different angle.

I call these dual-action mechanisms because with a single turn they achieve
a series of actions: first they grab the object and then they lift and throw
the object.

Gus

Could I use your Standard Robot RCX Challenge 2 robot picture?  It is a very
clean differential steer design.  I would also like to include a picture of
the steerbot.

Thanks,

Dean Hystad