 Robotics / 18048
Re: Request for designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 02:54:53 GMT

In article <3CFAD267.63C930BE@airmail.net>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) wrote:

Dean Hystad wrote:

I am writing up some coaches training materials for First LEGO League (FLL)
in Minneapolis MN and I need some help with examples of various robot
designs.  I plan on covering:

Platforms:
Differential Drive (2 drive wheels, 1 or more casters)
Differential Skid (tracks or wheels)
Steered wheels (front wheel and four wheel steering)
Tricycle drive
Articulated steering
Other?

I think you should toss in some weird ones:

Bipeds, Quadrupeds. Shrimps. Killough platforms (a personal favorite of mine).
Er - those weird wheels that have rollers instead of treads so they can
roll smoothly sideways - what are those called? Snake-like motion.
Track-following (eg Monorails, cable-cars, railroad engines).
What about those suction cup contraptions that can climb vertical sheets
of glass?

I ran a training session for FLL coaches last year.  Some coaches
already have Mindstorms experience - those aren't the ones that need
training.

Many of the others had never played with Technic or Mindstorms before.
We spent over an hour on gearing up and gearing down.  Remember that
these people need help with the basics (difference between black and
grey pegs, how to reinforce structures with vertical beams, etc).  If
you have time (or space if it is printed materials) at the end to show
some examples of the far-out stuff, then great.  But I can't overstate
the importance of spending a lot of time on the really simple stuff that
we tend to take for granted.

Dave