 Robotics / 18065
Re: Request for designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 00:44:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dean Hystad writes:
I am writing up some coaches training materials for First LEGO League (FLL)
in Minneapolis MN and I need some help with examples of various robot
designs.

Hi Dean,

I'm really pleased to see this discussion and I suspect that there are
several of us who will directly benefit from it.  I particularly liked
reading your curriculum in post http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=18051, I
will borrow some of it in future classes I teach at my local elementary school.

I have short word document on Lego geometry that I wrote last year for a
talk I did at a 4H Technology club.  You can find it here:
  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GJansson/Geometry/

I also have a couple of Technic puck pickup mechanisms that you may find
useful.  These are based on designs that I made for a series of Puck
Gathering robots used at a local, Seattle area, robot competition.  These
are assembly instructions and can be a basis for a discussion comparing two
different designs, one that uses gears and one that uses levers.  You can
find links to both sets of instructions here:
  http://www.lugnet.com/~726/PuckUp/
I call these dual-action mechanisms because with a single turn they achieve
a series of actions: first they grab the object and then they lift and throw
the object.

Gus