 Robotics / 18046
  Re: Request for designs

(...) I think you should toss in some weird ones: Bipeds, Quadrupeds. Shrimps. Killough platforms (a personal favorite of mine). Er - those weird wheels that have rollers instead of treads so they can roll smoothly sideways - what are those called? (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) That's true - I hadn't appreciated the level these people were at. In that case may I strongly recommend a classic: "The Art of Lego Design" by Fred Martin. You can find it in several places: (URL) could perhaps get these people to read it (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Request for designs

I am writing up some coaches training materials for First LEGO League (FLL) in Minneapolis MN and I need some help with examples of various robot designs. I plan on covering: Platforms: Differential Drive (2 drive wheels, 1 or more casters) (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) Perhaps you should commit to putting all the materials up on a web site as a part of this process so that everyone would benefit in the end. I'm sure that more people would contribute to a sort of OpenSourced free online Lego Book that would (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) I ran a training session for FLL coaches last year. Some coaches already have Mindstorms experience - those aren't the ones that need training. Many of the others had never played with Technic or Mindstorms before. We spent over an hour on (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

In lugnet.robotics, Dave Baum writes: But I can't overstate (...) My favorite reference on the simple stuff is (URL) but good. Roger (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) Maybe it would help to lay out the format of the training course. 1. Structures I start out with how to build strong structures. There is a discussion of LEGO joining techniques. When is a friction type connection OK, and when is bracing (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Request for designs

FYI, the Ferrari brothers' book masterfully covers all of the topics you list, and in a coherent sequence as well (IMHO). Dave Baum covers a subset of them with more emphasis on programming in his book. No NQC in FLL? Ack! --Russ (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Request for designs

(...) What books are these? Catherine (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Request for designs

Catherine, Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms, Dave Baum Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to LEGO Mindstorms (Technology In Action), Dave Baum Building Robots With Lego Mindstorms : The Ultimate Tool for Mindstorms Maniacs, Mario & (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Request for designs

(...) Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to LEGO Mindstorms (Technology In Action) by Dave Baum, Rodd Zurcher (Illustrator) Publisher: APress; ISBN: 1893115097; Bk&Cd-Rom edition (2000) Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms by Dave Baum (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) Sorry about the syntax. I was rushing to get that posting out while being called to dinner. I have Mario and Giulio's book and am in the process of getting permission from Syngress (the publisher) to use examples from it. They are such nice (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) Hi Dean, I'm really pleased to see this discussion and I suspect that there are several of us who will directly benefit from it. I particularly liked reading your curriculum in post (URL) I will borrow some of it in future classes I teach at (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) I am quite certain that all materials will be made available on the MN FLL web page ((URL) It's likely that this will require getting another release from various publishes of materials I am borrowing. But they have been really great, so I (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) calculating diagonal cross bracing and gear layouts. Is it great or twisted demented minds that think alike? (...) same problem. That is something I want to drill into these folks. There is a solution out there for almost any problem they (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

(...) Thanks. Let's hope it's great though it is probably a little of both. (...) Absolutely! Feel free to use what you want. Gus (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Request for designs

"Dean Hystad" <dhystad@mn.rr.com> wrote in message news:Gx64G3.6yw@lugnet.com... (...) I have a design for a simple Nagata-style overlapping footprint walker that uses a differential to make it walk faster. I know walkers are not primary topics, (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  LEGO USB tower with NQC on Linux