 Publishing / 4724
Re: NeutronBot.com ::: Best Site Ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 23:31:56 GMT

First of all, thanks for the kind comments and constructive critisim. (I cant
spell, sorry) I appreciate someone who is able to stay on subject and not go off
on rants or personal attacks. What people dont understand, is that when you look
up tongue-in-cheek in the dictionary, there is a picture of Kevin right next to
it. He is not to be taken seriously, I think you understand that.

In lugnet.publish, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

I do have some suggestions - feel free to take them as you wish. But I think
neutronbot.com would be even better if:

* You added either a picture (of a distinctive 'bot or mugshot) or name of the
builder in each hexagon on the home page. It does suffer from MMN syndrome.

I agree, and I thought we were gonna finish that before we announced, but oh
well.

* You had some links to discussion of new bots (either on LUGNET, CSF, or
wherever), or had a comments function. Personally I'd like to see a discussion
link back to a forum.

That's an idea I have stored away for v2 of my code, I was too lazy to add that
in this time, but it is a good idea.

* You had a link to "latest mocs" regardless of builder. Right now each is
compartmentalized, which I actually like, but it would be good to see what's new
overall - maybe link from the center hexagon on the home page?

Hrmm, that's a good idea. I'll look into it.

* The thumbnail gallery wasn't at the bottom of each builder's main page. Lenny
has quite a bit of content, so I'd need to scroll to see it. Once the pages
become filled (and I don't know how deep you have them set for), it could take
some scrolling to get an idea of what types of things this guy builds. The
"Latest MOC" on the top right is great, though - don't change that!

The thumbnails on each builder's page is intended to be just a quick preview. I
think providing multiple ways to view data is key, so this acts as a quick
preview. If you want to go into more depth and see more mocs, look to the
navigation on the left, where each builder has organized their mocs slighly
differently. This is similar to how mocpages is set up.

* The number in parenthesis after the moc name is labeled as number of hits; at
least that's what I'm assuming it is. It could be a bit clearer.

Yea, that's hits. It's not really intended for public view, but for the people
running the site to see what is most popular. I am lazy, so I didn't feel like
coding the login check for deciding to display that info or not. But if it
confuses the user, I will consider it.

Again, overall very nice work, and if these are the only nits I can come up
with, then it's a success! I've added a bookmark and will check it regularly.

- Kelly

Kyle
http://lego.kepplah.com