 Publishing / 4715
Re: NeutronBot.com ::: Best Site Ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:43:32 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
   In lugnet.publish, James Wilson wrote:
   Ahh, Mystery Meat navigation at its best/worst!

I’m sure there are some cool things there, but all I see on the front page (in Firefox 1.0) is 7 hexagons. Nothing tells me what to do. Oooh, if I mouse over the hexagons they change colors! This must be some kind of computer game! Wait, there are some tiny names at the bottom - what happens if I click one? Oh, Lego stuff! Cool.

(end sarcasm)

Could stand to be dialed down a bit IMHO.

Cool MOCS, but IMHO, the front page tries to hard to be “cool” and doesn’t try hard enough to let me know what to do.

Try clicking one of the hexagons, silly.

This isn’t .space... try less smack, doofus(1).

Smack is out of place in .publish... and a lot of other places on LUGNET too, unless you’re sure it’s friendly banter. See the ToS if you’re unclear.

I suggest instead of “Try clicking one of the hexagons, silly.” something more along the lines of “we thought the metaphor of clicking on one of the hexagons was pretty clear and we’re sorry it confuses you, we’d be interested to know whether that’s a common feeling or if you’re in a small minority” might be a better approach. That is, assuming you’re interested in feedback and in having a reputation that you are interested in what other people think.

I think if you post something that says “best site ever”, you’re going to get people coming out of the woodwork to find things not to like. Heck, I was tempted to post my laundry list too. Which is too bad because despite MMS (which I hate, it’s too artsy fartsy, even for an art site like yours, in my view), it is a cool site and you guys are incredibly talented builders.

But maybe you need a different spokesperson, one with less visible attitude? You come off sounding like some of the other high attitude / high maintenance people (that you yourself point out need less attitude) when you talk like that. A more low key approach might be better.

Because, let’s face it, kepplah and his cronies are god at cool sites and this site is really really cool. Why not just say “NeutronBot... we like it, do you?”... I bet you would be off to a way better start. Instead you’ve got an incipient scuffle here, one that if it gets out of hand might get some people some timeouts. Not the best way to launch unless you are from the “any publicity is good publicity” school.

Take that for what it’s worth, hope it helps.

++Lar

1 - You’re not really a doofus, that was said to make a point. It doesn’t sound very nice to be called one, does it?