 Publishing / 4713
Re: NeutronBot.com ::: Best Site Ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:18:14 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
In lugnet.publish, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
James, thanx for the link to "Web Pages that Suck," it's great!  I spent about
half an hour there reading stuff.  By contrast I spent 30 seconds at the
subject site of this thread...  :(

Well that is really a shame. You'll miss out on some really rad MOCs.

Oh well, can't have everyone like a site.

But I do find it absurd that you couldn't figure out in 30 seconds how to get
past the front page.  It's not that difficult, dude.  The hexagons are links (my
god what a concept!)

Although I too spent some time at WPtS (I'm a web guy), I really liked the clean
design of neutronbot.com. And of course the MOCs are incredibly great. Nice work
you guys!

I do have some suggestions - feel free to take them as you wish. But I think
neutronbot.com would be even better if:

* You added either a picture (of a distinctive 'bot or mugshot) or name of the
builder in each hexagon on the home page. It does suffer from MMN syndrome.

* You had some links to discussion of new bots (either on LUGNET, CSF, or
wherever), or had a comments function. Personally I'd like to see a discussion
link back to a forum.

* You had a link to "latest mocs" regardless of builder. Right now each is
compartmentalized, which I actually like, but it would be good to see what's new
overall - maybe link from the center hexagon on the home page?

* The thumbnail gallery wasn't at the bottom of each builder's main page. Lenny
has quite a bit of content, so I'd need to scroll to see it. Once the pages
become filled (and I don't know how deep you have them set for), it could take
some scrolling to get an idea of what types of things this guy builds. The
"Latest MOC" on the top right is great, though - don't change that!

* The number in parenthesis after the moc name is labeled as number of hits; at
least that's what I'm assuming it is. It could be a bit clearer.

Again, overall very nice work, and if these are the only nits I can come up
with, then it's a success! I've added a bookmark and will check it regularly.

- Kelly