 Publishing / 3422
Re: Taking of Images - Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 22:04:58 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Wilson writes:

This is so completely wrong I have to comment :-)

In most countrise including the US, if you make an image, (unless it's done
for an employer as part of your work), you own the copyright automatically.

Posting it on brickshelf makes no difference, you still own the copyright -
and in fact every Brickshelf page says at the bottom "All Gallery content is
property of the uploader, unless otherwise stated. Everything else ©2002
Brickshelf L.L.C. " .

Lego doesn't own Brickshelf.

It happens regularly that people post pictures of models to the Builder's
Gallery or contests on lego.com, which are not in fact their models but
stolen from other pople's sites.

Not unless you specifically say that you release them to the public domain.
Legally, they are still your property.

Free doesn't have anything to do with copyright or ownership.

Kevin

ok I read the TOS wrong. I'm one of those freaks who even bother to read
software agreements as it is, usually I just scan them. My point though
wasn't the legality of copyrights and my ownership of the image. It's the
nature of the internet right now that anything that can be turned into data
is free. 8 million people on Napster think the same thing ( yes I know it's
shut down, but the people are not ). There is a half dozen ways to get
around rightclick disabled images and most software sports some sort of
patch. The only way to protect your images is to deface it with a
identifying watermark. When I say I release things to the public domain, I
realize they are still my property, as much as if I left copies out on the
sidewalk. I've no interest in tracking their progress through the netaverse
and keeping tabs on the proper usage of them. ~ If ~ I came across someone
using something of mine in a contest, first I'd slap them and tell them to
steal a better model, but then yes I might take action. I don't think this
is an apathetic attitude, just realistic about how uncontrollable
information is on the net.
cheers Joseph