 Publishing / 3406
Re: Taking of Images - Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 22:06:44 GMT

This is also becomming a problem over at BZCommunity.com - there are a few
people over there who are stealing pics from brickshelf and re-naming them
and putting them in their own folders on brickshelf.

Why is this becomming such a problem all of the sudden? What is going on and
what can we do about it?

Well first, what can be done now is put your name or URL on all of your pics
- I know this may take extra time - but the results are worth it. This way
they have 2 choices, keep your info on the pic and have to come up with a
way to explain why your name is on "their work" -or- they can take your info
off of it, this will easily prove they had the intention of stealing it and
claiming it as their own. I think this is a great solution no matter what
further steps (if any) are taken by Brickshelf.

Second Brickshelf has this posted on each page towards the bottom in small
print "All Gallery content is property of the uploader, unless otherwise
stated." What they could do is put it at the top of tha page and make it
bigger, so there is no question the pic belongs to the person who made it. I
do not think everybody sees that at its current location and size.

Third I think there could be a 'contact' button in each folder, that way
people can easily contact the owner of the pics to get permission to use
them or whatever they need/want to do.

Just a few thoughts to slow the stealing of pics, but I think putting your
info ON the pic is the best solution, and can be done very easily.

Mark P
http://landofbricks.com