 Publishing / 3417
Re: Taking of Images - Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 12:20:49 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Brad Mittelstedt writes:
In lugnet.publish, Kevin Salm writes:
I would like it if more Brickshelf photos were identified with a visual mark by
the author/creator.

Hey .. honestly .. its the publishers fault. Bottom line.  Interesting as it
may be have you actually thought about it this way.

Spend hours designing and building a MOC ...
Spend time taking pictures of the MOC ...
Spend time manipulating the images to look better ...
but not enough time to splash a watermark onto the image.

I am guilty of it.  I admit.  But after three models, none of which I have
posted on Bricklink, I have figured out that it would be nice to have them
identified by some unique means such that no one could possibly steal them (not
like they real would want to .. but that is another issue all together)  And if
they did would get flamed for reposting a copyrighted image.  My source code
that I produce is generally under GNU licence.  My MOC's are a completely
different story.

Don't get me wrong, I agree 110% with you, but the truth is ... Publisher
beware .. about all I can tell you.

This crosses into the neighbourhood of ownership. I don't think anyone holds
the copyrights to their creations once posted on Brickshelf. Dosn't it state
that once posted all images belong to Lego Inc? The only thing we own is the
bricks and once we make a model it's a lot easier than reverse engineering a
radio to figure out how someone made it. Yes I'm sure I would be miffed if
the unlikly situation arose when someone said my lego model was theirs but
I'm not holding my breath for that event. After posting pictures of a model
or drawings onto the net I've pretty much given them up to public domain.
It's just the current nature of the internet environment that content is
essentially free to get. I like the idea of watermarking an image for
reference use but not to deface it as some territorial stamping. It's nice
to know who made it but not at the sake of viewing the image.

cheers Joseph
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=silversmurfer