 Publishing / 3415
Re: Taking of Images - Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 05:04:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.publish, Ahui Herrera writes:

Well in the WORSE-CASE option you can always place your image in powerpoint,
one image per slide, use adobe acrobat to print the slides (sett acrobat at
the HIGHEST IMAGE LEVEL) and then once you have the .pdf file set the
security to NO PRINING, NO EDITING, TO FILE EXTRACTION, and password protect
with a 128-bit code password and THEN POST!

this off course would defeat the purpose of showing the images on the net...
he,he,he...
-AHui

Okay, the original "crime" is actually re-posting someone else's images on
Brickshelf without giving credit and resulting in duplicates.  As stated in
this thread, pictures posted to a public website are public and the user can do
whatever they want with them.  This is a whole separate debate that could go on
forever so I won't go further with it.  Same goes for publishing other's work
without crediting them.

As for the duplicates at Brickshelf--this is what bothers me as it is totally
unneccessary.  There are countless methods that can be used to find your way
back to images you want while leaving the images on the internet (bookmarks,
favorites, desktop shortcuts, emails to yourself, private webpage with links or
thumbnails, etc).  Creating duplicates online doesn't make any sense and won't
make you any friends.

Since this thread has gotten sidetracked on the issue of copying images and
marking your images somehow I would like to comment:

I would like it if more Brickshelf photos were identified with a visual mark by
the author/creator.

Like most people who go to Brickshelf, I save pictures that I like on my own
computer for personal use.  I easily have several thousand pictures of Lego
that I have saved over the last 6 years or so.  I call this Pirating and
consider it stealing, but I have no plans to ever use these pictures publicly.

I file pictures various ways that allow me to find what I am looking for later,
this means that I change filenames.  Unless the author has given the pictures
identifying attributes in the properties, I have no way of knowing where I got
the picture, who built what, or anything else.  For example, I have over 300
pictures in a folder labeled LOCOMOTIVES and I have almost no idea who
created what or where the photos came from.
If more images had visual identifiers on them, I would be glad of that.  It
would make it easier to do many things, especially to give credit where due.

__Kevin Salm__
....a major Brickshelf picture Pirate....

BTW, when I ever get around to putting up pictures of my own creations (very
low priority) I have no problems with people copying the images to their
computers.  If I didn't want people to copy me, I would not post the pictures
in the first place.