 Publishing / 3414
Re: Taking of Images - Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 03:41:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

While I HATE this idea the adms of brickshelf can add a small javascript
code that DISABLES the right-mouse click when you open up the .htm page with
the big image.  I've seen this on certain proffesional photographer
websites. It's a bit annoying but it works.

It doesn't prevent copying. It just makes it harder, which will deter some
people, but not everyone.

When all is said and done, if I can display the image on my computer screen,
then that image must be somewhere in the memory of my computer, however it got
there.

So, there is always *some* way to capture the image, and there are a number of
shareware programs out there (take a look at Snag-It as an example) that let
you capture things on your screen (be they text or images). It's pretty much a
case of "if you can see it, you can copy it".

Ideas like adding names, copyright notices, to the images are also imperfect,
as typically you add such things on unimportant parts of the image (since you
don't want to obscure the important bits). Since it is an unimportant section,
then it can easily be cropped off, or one of the many "photo repair"
techniques used to restore the image without your name and copyright.

Watermarks across a large portion of the image are clearly more effective, but
the watermark will in turn detract from the quality of your overall image, so
you may defeat the purpose of publishing the image in the first place.

For most practical purposes, you have to accept that if you publish an image
on the Internet, then someone sufficiently determined can probably copy it
against your wishes. This is similar to the way anyone can photocopy a piece
of paper that you publish. Unless you are actually losing money in some way as
a result of the copying, you might as well stop worrying about it and remember
that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. After all, someone must have
liked it enough to want to copy it!

Kerry