 Publishing / 3023
Re: Construction Toy Grading Standards Now Live AND on Lugnet!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Richard Marchetti writes:
Todd:

Here are my problems/requests for FTX:

1. Center and Bold. I'd like to be able to center while simultaneously
doing the "underlined" bold face -- and this doesn't seem to be possible
with the current FTX table commands (I have tried several times already).
Am I wrong to think the underlined boldface is larger than the bracketed
boldface?

Richard,
I'm not sure what you mean by "underlined boldface."  (I think I know what
you mean by "bracketed boldface.")  If you want bolded underlined text, you
can write either

   [_this is underlined and bold_]

or

   _[this is also underlined and bold]_

and they're both the exact same size text.  The first one translates to

   <B><U>this is underlined and bold</U></B>

and the second one translates to

   <U><B>this is also underlined and bold</B></U>

You can also center those in a table cell, for example

   ~< flush left top line
   ~| centered top line
   ~> flush right top line

   ~< flush left
   ~| [_centered_]
   ~> flush right

   ~< flush left bottom line
   ~| centered bottom line
   ~> flush right bottom line

2. Anchors. Page transclusion is cool but I'd like to be able to also link
to the included page via some kind of anchor command as in HTML.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but you can use the # character in
a link and give the name or the URI of the transcluded page.  For example,
if you have a page named Fnord and on it you do

   <<Blurfl>>

to transclude the page Blurfl, it magically creates a #Blurfl anchor tag on
your page using <A NAME="#Blurfl">.  Accordingly, from other pages, you can
write

   <Fnord#Blurfl Click here to go to Blurfl on Fnord>     (in FTX)

which translates to

   <A HREF="Fnord#Blurfl>Click here to go to Blurfl on Fnord</A>   (in HTML)

I'd also
like to see it implemented without the horizontal bar (this bar is similar
to the hr command in HTML).

OK, lemme think about the issues.  Maybe I can add this for cases where
you're transcluding your own pages.

FWIW, I also noticed that FTX balks at more
than one instance of the same page being imbedded via page transclusion.
It's no big deal to me, but seems to run counter to the kind of modular
functionality that page transclusion seems intended to facilitate.

Ya, the "already transcluded" check added to prevent infinite loops.  It
probably should be smarter so that it allows multiple transclusions in cases
where the transcluded page doesn't loop back.  In theory, I'm not sure
offhand how feasible/fast it is to detect whether a directed graph is cyclic
or acyclic though.  In practice, what do/did you want to multiply transclude?

--Todd