 Publishing / 2608
Re: Personal page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:28:09 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

While simplicity = good, boring simplicity = bad, IMO.  That's where good
artwork and good layout skills come into play.

You are correct, good (or at least sensible) layout and artwork are just about
essential if you want people to enjoy your site, although to say that "boring
simplicity" is bad is not always true. For example, your content may be of
great interest to someone who doesn't particularly care about the presentation
one way or another; my father reads and listens to football (soccer) results
with great interest, yet the presentation of those on television and radio is
generally astoundingly boring in the sense you refer to. Of course, this is a
rather extreme example, but there are many of this type in the world.

I do think it is important to push frontiers to see what happens, then perhaps
pull back a bit and re-evaluate and then come up with something new and better.
That's how some progress happens. I also agree with Larry about doing
commercial web design; one thing I've learned from the web sites I've done is
never to underestimate the stupidity of people visiting your site, never
underestimate how loudly they will complain to your boss when "it doesn't
work", and not always count on your boss to see your side of the issue. It can
be quite exasperating at times, especially when you *know* you are right :-)

Don't get discouraged - you can't keep everyone happy all the time!

Jennifer Clark
http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/