 Publishing / 2607
Re: Personal page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 01:58:21 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:
"Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
news:slrn90g5u8.ldt.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu...
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
Actually...that's kinda the point.  I *can* create clear navigation for
websites, but I purposely chose this for artistic style.  Not saying it
cant' be better or little rollovers couldn't help while keeping the • original
intent, and not saying I'm done either.  It probably won't be 'done' for
another week...cause I have other things to do.

I think it's fine that way, for a personal page. However, it maybe ought • to
be more consistent from section to section...

How so?  Graphical layout? Nav button placement?

Anyways...I'm still trying to get over someone saying my work sucks.

Tim, first of all your personal site doesent suck at all, its pretty good.
But it does look like a whole school of similar sites on the internet.

There are 2 different diametrically opposed camps on site design.  The Jacob
Neilson camp (which Larry belongs to):

http://www.useit.com

And the artsy for artsy sake sites, one particulary egregious example:

http://www.barneys.com

Then there are sites somewhere in the middle, look at:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com

(A good example of how a Danish multi-national company can design a site,
feel free to compare this with that Danish toy companies site).

So how do you combine the 2 different ideas, which is the whole function
of site design. The short answer is that you cant, not with current Browser
technology, and certainly not by looking at the state of current site design.

A better place to look for design advice is a medium that has been perfected
over the course of a millenia or two--the printed page. And suprisingly enough
you wont find these examples on the web, but in books. 2 of my favorites;

Envisioning Information -- Edward Tufte

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0961392118/qid=973648193/sr=1-1/103-7792
275-8147845

and The Elements of Typographical Style -- Robert Bringhurst

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881791326/qid=973648088/sr=1-1/103-7792
275-8147845

I can expound on my personal design theories if you like, but at least some of
it is on my Lego site (which will get a better navigational structure in the
next version).

--Jim