 Publishing / 2603
Re: Personal page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:39:44 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:G3o2zq.1n5@lugnet.com...
I'll just say this. When I evaluate web guys (and I do that a fair bit,
since what I do is advise clients about how to get stuff done) in deciding
whether to award them work, I look at whatever sites they have in their
portfolio.. websitesthatsuck says don't evaluate personal sites. Fair
enough, IF their personal site isn't in their portfolio.

Ok.

My (free) advice to you is, don't put that site in your portfolio, OR, • don't
ask me or guys like me, people who are more concerned with making money • from
the web than with the artistic merits (and remember, making money is
accomplished by making it easy for users, not for making it confusingly
pretty) for work. Because if I see a site like that in a portfolio of
someone that is looking for work on sites that need to make money, that
person flunks.

Thanks for the advice.  I believe I understand the correlation between ease
of use and moneymaking on the web (and indeed those are the types of sites I
intend to design, for money).

Pretty and confusing don't always have to be associated with each other
either.

My approach to at least what I'm learning now is learning how to accomplish
pretty, because in most areas I have navigation down.  Yep, its a sidestep,
but I think its a part of the learning process which I want to take.

I'd like to see which sites you think are examples of sites that have • "clear
navigation"... www.ldraw.org? I think that's a fair example... navigation
there is pretty good.

Yeah, there's an example of good navigation.  That was one of the primary
goals I had when I originally designed the site, more than a year and a half
ago.

What I am not happy with is that I don't have many completed projects
online.  I've been distracted by discussion, doing other time consuming
things which are Lego-related (other than making and maintaining sites),
actually maintaining a site (ldraw.org), and watching time go down the drain
like just about every teenager does.

Right now I'm not too pleased with my lack of ability to sit down and plow
through stuff...I burn out easily, and get easily distracted.  That might
contribute to why Zacktron hasn't seen an update in over a year and a
half...and why ldraw.org hasn't seen one for two months (NOTE: ldraw.org
will be getting an update VERY soon).

Lar, even though its a personal page, what do you think of
http://www.jezebel.com?  Personally, I love the site and what she has done
with it...its clean, clear, the text isn't super small (but its small), good
use of CSS and an interesting navigation.  I don't think its terribly hard
to navigate, but some of the areas of the site aren't clear on what they
actually are.  Then again, its a personal page.  But I keep this site in
mind as one of the examples that I use for inspiration.

Note that I have issues with LUGNET navigation, it is very hard to find
things here if you don't already know where they are, there is no global
search for features, and no coherent site map.

After explaining your perspective more, I understand where you are coming
from.

I should probably also dig up some screenshots from the incomplete startup
company project and run them by you privately.  I'm disappointed to say that
it doesn't appear the idea will go through, not because of a delay in
funding, but because of a loss of interest by the team members out in
California due to the delay in funding.  I've been telling them all along
there's organizational work and website construction work that could
continue - so that when funding is available we can hit the ground running.
But no one is listening, and so I've pretty much lost heart too.  At least
it gave me the chance to work on another site design and have the experience
of ideas and layout studies from it.  (I think you'll like where I was going
with that site design)
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne