 Publishing / 2602
Re: Personal page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:
"Tim Culberson" <t_c_c@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3A07FEBF.A056D2EB@yahoo.com...

I realize that I don't post much so you might not actually recognize me
but...

I would have to agree Larry.  This has become a somewhat popular thing
even among some major web developers but is known as "mystery-meat
navigation" I believe.  You can see more of this at
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

Actually...that's kinda the point.  I *can* create clear navigation for
websites, but I purposely chose this for artistic style.  Not saying it
cant' be better or little rollovers couldn't help while keeping the original
intent, and not saying I'm done either.  It probably won't be 'done' for
another week...cause I have other things to do.

I'll just say this. When I evaluate web guys (and I do that a fair bit,
since what I do is advise clients about how to get stuff done) in deciding
whether to award them work, I look at whatever sites they have in their
portfolio.. websitesthatsuck says don't evaluate personal sites. Fair
enough, IF their personal site isn't in their portfolio.

My (free) advice to you is, don't put that site in your portfolio, OR, don't
ask me or guys like me, people who are more concerned with making money from
the web than with the artistic merits (and remember, making money is
accomplished by making it easy for users, not for making it confusingly
pretty) for work. Because if I see a site like that in a portfolio of
someone that is looking for work on sites that need to make money, that
person flunks.

Those are your choices.

I'd like to see which sites you think are examples of sites that have "clear
navigation"... www.ldraw.org? I think that's a fair example... navigation
there is pretty good.

Note that I have issues with LUGNET navigation, it is very hard to find
things here if you don't already know where they are, there is no global
search for features, and no coherent site map.

FAQs don't make up for that.

++Lar