 Publishing / 134
Re: Scans Ready: Star Wars, Rock Raiders, and other 1999 sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:47:16 GMT

Once upon a time, sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess...) wrote:

That plane looks interesting -- if there is some way of getting it
without buying a bigger set. I must admit to not being overly enthused
about the rest of the adventurers as shown -- though I have not been
enthused with the entire Adventurers line to start with

I'm not impressed with either of the two Adventurers' sets in this
mini-catalogue.  Neither really captures the look of the time-period.
Especially the blimp.  What is up with that gondola?

Now, SW! I love those speeder-bike stormtroopers, they are so cute!
The ships are not at all disappointing! Considering they are mini-fig
scale, I think they have translated quite well. And a relief that the
TIE fighter appears to be an amalgamation of many plates, great news!

Yes, I was very happy to see that new SPUDs were restrained to
(mostly) cockpits, minifigs, and lightsabers.  The main structural
elements are still plain-jane LEGO.  :):):)  The SPUDs are used very
effectively, without overwhelming the models.  I think the SW sets
look more "LEGO" than themes like Town Jr., and UFO, and Insectoids.
And I think the SW SPUDs are not really going to be single-purpose.  I
want to get my hands on a large number of light-saber handles.  Those
would be great detail elements in any spaceship or mechanical (as long
as chrome is acceptable).

I LOVE the SW sets! Especially Set 7110 -- the Landspeeder and Set
7150 -- the Tie FIghter. They look fabulous in this girl's eyes. Can't
wait for March now!....

The colors on Darth Vader's TIE Fighter are ugly. :(

But the Landspeeder will be bought in bulk, just for the tan and grey
wigs.

The Rock Raiders look "eh" -- Wrong shade of green for me!

I like the Rock Raiders--at least, it's a totally original concept.(1)
And the rock creature looks interesting.  Assuming it's not a SPUD.

The biggest disappointment is the Space Port. It looks somewhat "town,
Jr-ish" to me. I am eagerly hoping to be wrong!

It looks about the same level as Req-Q and Extreme Team to me.
Half-way between Town, Jr. and 'real LEGO'.

But I like the look of the space plane.  At least, I did, until Paul
pointed out that the tail is probably a Light'n'Sound element.

I just spent last night making a 'real' dragonfly out of two Sonic
Stinger sets.

Steve

(1) The term "totally original" is used with the implied understanding
that it is actually a measurement, not an absolute.  Nothing is
actually "totally original".  "There is nothing new under the sun"