 Pirates / 1400
Re: Small cutter bows (6x7 bow pieces)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:45:40 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:
   While the enthusiasm is not only commendable but admirable,
   I fear that an 18th-C. pyrate going after a steel, steam-
   powered freighter would be sort of like going after the setting
   moon.  On the other hand, the black bows from River Expedition
   (which I'm praying I'll be able to get some of while they're
   still around!) would be ideal for building a sailing freighter,
   much better for plunderin'.

Although didn't early steamships sometimes go slower than a good trim
sailing ship?

   Yep--the paddle-wheelers, at any rate.  However, until they
   were largely out of the 'overlap zone,' most steamers still
   carried a rig--the speed issue is why the Navy was very late
   in adopting steam propulsion as a standard, and even then only
   because a method was devised for hauling the propeller into
   the stern of the ship when under sail.

   But by the time of ships like _Warrior_ and _Gloire_ (btw,
   HMS Warrior is in fact sitting at Portsmouth, restored to
   all her glory at long last; the first British seagoing iron-
   clad!), you'd have to be in a pretty stiff wind to overtake
   a steamer at full power.

   I usually arm my freighters with 40mm or 15cm DP quick-firing-guns
   anyways, to keep my little grey patrol boats away.  I don't have
   enough to make a proper convoy, though.

Those would of course do a very good job of keeping the pirates at bay.
Much more accurate, much longer range, and much higher rate of fire.

   With one or two of those, a merchant ship could likely become
   a pyrate herself.  ;)  Actually, the Q-ships and disguised German
   raiders used precisely that tactic to lure victims.

   A mad Pirate ship builder gone mad?  I'm not sure what that would
   entail, but it sounds rather disconcerting.

I need to start shipbuilding again. It's probably about time to start
getting geared up for Brickfest 2001.

   I agree!  I'm looking forward to it...arrrr.

   best

   Lindsay