 Parts / Modification / 56
Re: Home made weight bricks and train base plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:31:19 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Mark Bellis wrote:

I see the melting point of standard solder (63% tin, 37% lead) is 183 deg C.  If
I held a soldering iron and a reel of solder over an invered brick and dripped
molten solder into the brick, would the brick melt?

Would it make any difference if I put the brick on a tray with 3mm of cold water
in it (or just enough so that the brick didn't float), as a heatsink?

I just thought this would be an easy solution as solder is readily available.

Mark

Unfortuneatly the drips of solder would not stick to each other, so unless you
put a few drops of glue in afterwards to hold it all togather, you'd loos you
weights. But this isn't a bad solution. It would fill the brick near solid, and
the poison would be incapsulated.

Mat