 Parts / Modification / 54
Re: Home made weight bricks and train base plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:03:40 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Mark Bellis wrote:

Better still, avoid the dremel by buying second hand some old 2x4s, which have
no tubes underneath.  Fill with plasticine or similar denser material that
doesn't get too hot (i.e. not solder), leaving 1.6mm depth free for the studs of
the brick underneath.  It's OK to modify Lego parts, but avoid excessive effort
and risk of damaging pieces if at all possible!

Most of my trains use composite bases with technic plates providing the hole for
the motor bogie plate peg.  The advantage is that you can incorporate a 1x4 hole
near the end to accommodate a wire that connects the two motor bogies together
for better pickup and more power.  My train MOCs are here:
Their bases are from 18 to 80 studs long, with all kinds of special features.

I hope to post links to pictures of some of my most useful modified parts soon
(when I finish my film by taking pictures of them, as I don't have a digital
camera yet!)

Mark

Mark,

The old hollow brick sounds OK, but I'd want them in new looking black ABS, or
dark grey. Besides, once I glue it shut, the world will never know! Trust me I
know how to use a dremel.

I've seen your work, very nice. I 've also made train base useing the technic
plates. But this tends to be much heavier, which can be good and bad. So far the
largest I've made is a 8 x 39 for my Mk1 coach car to my Hogwarts train. I
incorperated a 6 x 24 train base as the center to reduce the weight some. The
Hogwarts as of yet is my only 8 wide train. And I'm sure I'll do more. But I
still like my 6 wides as well.

Mat