 Parts / Modification / 43
Re: Home made weight bricks and train base plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:49:10 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
   Look at my page under Modifications http://my.tele2.ee/sonnich/lego/ or go direktly there by this link: http://my.tele2.ee/sonnich/lego/modify01.htm

Bismuth, huh? Well, it’s the next heavier element after lead, decays so slowly that it might as well not be radioactive (half-life of 19*10^18 years), is the only non-toxic heavy metal (aside from the radioactivity, but you probably get that much radiation standing under direct sunlight) and combines easily with lead/tin/iron/cadmium...but its melting point is 520.52F, which is well higher than the point where ABS will have melted to a smoldering heap of slag. You’re probably using a tin/bismuth alloy with a pinch of lead. I ran across one supplier who has a bismuth alloy that actually melts at 158F (70C). Geez, you could melt that stuff in a hot-pot double-boiler (not something that you’re likely to find for sale, but I did build one for customizing action figures).