 Parts / Modification / 48
Re: Home made weight bricks and train base plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:45:41 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.parts.mod, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Look at my page under Modifications
http://my.tele2.ee/sonnich/lego/
or go direktly there by this link:
http://my.tele2.ee/sonnich/lego/modify01.htm

Bismuth, huh?  Well, it's the next heavier element after lead, decays so
slowly that it might as well not be radioactive (half-life of 19*10^18
years), is the only non-toxic heavy metal (aside from the radioactivity, but
you probably get that much radiation standing under direct sunlight) and
combines easily with lead/tin/iron/cadmium...but its melting point is
520.52F, which is well higher than the point where ABS will have melted to a
smoldering heap of slag.  You're probably using a tin/bismuth alloy with a
pinch of lead.  I ran across one <http://www.rotometals.com/fusible.htm
supplier> who has a bismuth alloy that actually melts at 158F (70C).  Geez,
you could melt that stuff in a hot-pot double-boiler (not something that
you're likely to find for sale, but I did build one for customizing action
figures).

I know there is tin in it, but lead - dont know. Its melting point should be a
little above 100C. A friend of mine tells, that there should not be Cadmium in
it, as Cadmium is toxic.
(In our case they would probably end in a model rather than being played with )
I havent used this for some time, but I recall, that when I added it, I had to
do it fast, otherwise it becomes to cold, and it is no longer possible to work
with it.
A friend of mine uses it on his factory, where I used a gas burner to melt it,
and a small "spoon".

Hope this explains.
Sonnich