 Parts / Modification / 42
Re: Home made weight bricks and train base plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:55:52 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Mathew Clayson wrote:
Has anyone made thier own weight bricks?

My thought was to hollow out the bottom of a brick with a dremel, then fill it
with BBs. And finally glue a plate across the bottom. This could be useful to
add weight to some of my smaller train MOCs, where the standard weight is to
large. It could be done with a pair of 2 x 6 bricks to achieve different colors
then red and black as well.

I was also wondering if anyone has made shorter or longer train base plates? A
20 stud and a 36 stud would be useful.

Mat

Better still, avoid the dremel by buying second hand some old 2x4s, which have
no tubes underneath.  Fill with plasticine or similar denser material that
doesn't get too hot (i.e. not solder), leaving 1.6mm depth free for the studs of
the brick underneath.  It's OK to modify Lego parts, but avoid excessive effort
and risk of damaging pieces if at all possible!

Most of my trains use composite bases with technic plates providing the hole for
the motor bogie plate peg.  The advantage is that you can incorporate a 1x4 hole
near the end to accommodate a wire that connects the two motor bogies together
for better pickup and more power.  My train MOCs are here:
Their bases are from 18 to 80 studs long, with all kinds of special features.

I hope to post links to pictures of some of my most useful modified parts soon
(when I finish my film by taking pictures of them, as I don't have a digital
camera yet!)

Mark