 Parts / Modification / 52
Re: Home made weight bricks and train base plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:56:26 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.parts.mod, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
I know there is tin in it, but lead - dont know.

Lead is usually added in a very small amount to make it flow into fine detail
better.  It's probably only a few percent lead content, so handling it wouldn't
bear anywhere near the same risk of lead poisoning that handling pure lead does.

Yes, always wash your hands after handling solder!

Its melting point should be a little above 100C.

I see the melting point of standard solder (63% tin, 37% lead) is 183 deg C.  If
I held a soldering iron and a reel of solder over an invered brick and dripped
molten solder into the brick, would the brick melt?

Would it make any difference if I put the brick on a tray with 3mm of cold water
in it (or just enough so that the brick didn't float), as a heatsink?

I just thought this would be an easy solution as solder is readily available.

Mark