 Parts / 229
Re: What's in a part name? (WAS: 4679 Fall Spring Cleaning Bonus)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:47:21 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.parts, Allan Bedford wrote:

   I think slope bricks are actually well-named and are one of the major categories of elements that everyone can seem to more-or-less agree upon.

I wasn’t seriously suggesting we try to rename slopes. But bevel would be so much more ... taxonimetrical.

You don’t think it’s a good idea to rename slopes? ;)

But I agree with you, it’s not a bad alternate name for them. In the Brickopedia I tried to find a balance between taxonomically correct labels and groupings/names that made sense from a LEGO builder’s perspective.

   My favorite part name is ‘bearclaw’.

Hmmmmmm...... I don’t know that one. But I’ll take a guess. Is it this:

Ooo. Good guess.

Then maybe the one shown above could be a ‘crab claw’ or something like that. :)

   But it was actually this part:

Part 4275

Maybe 4085 could be “dog paw” or something...

Ah yes. I can see where a name like that would arise.

   I heard about this name years ago, when a person whose name I do not recall ran a “Name that Brick” monthly contest. I always liked the fanciful names better than the descripitive names...

I don’t remember that contest. Was it on LUGNET or rtl?

I started a thread here a couple of years ago to try and see if other people had nicknames for some of their favorite parts. It wasn’t a huge discussion, but here’s the link:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=41997

My two personal favorites are noted there. The first is this one:

I still like to call it a bulldog brick, though it would be more accurate to call it a ‘bullnose’ brick, since that’s exactly the type of real brick that it resembles.

The other is this one:

That I still like to call the ‘hydrant’ since it reminds me a fire hydrant. Yes, I know most fire hydrants aren’t square, but oh well.

Of course, many fire hydrants only have two outlets, so perhaps this part is better deserving of the label:

Unless, of course, they come out with a part like this:

Then I’d change my mind entirely and start calling that one a hydrant. :)

Allan B.